- Create data assets which are properly authorized and leveraged group-wide
- Develop and maintain high-end data pipelines end-to-end
- Develop and provide proper interfaces and APIs
- Monitor and improve data quality pro-actively in-line with the applications of business use cases
- Identify automation potentials within the provisioning process. Design and re-design data architecture to create a scalable and flexible tech-stack which satisfies the customer needs
- Challenges the status-quo and provides new solutions as well as insights to business process flows.
- Ensure system and data security across all our data sources with an AWS-centric approach
- Work in expert as well as cross-functional teams and challenge yourself and others
- Build analytical tools to test and maintain quality of the data pipelines in order to achieve great usability, customer acquisition as well as operational efficiency
- The data engineer contributes directly to the setup of a group-wide high-performance lightweight data infrastructure
Senior Data Engineer (f/m/d) Germany
SIGNA Sports United • Germany
SIGNA Sports United (SSU) has built the global #1 sports e-commerce & technology platform with market leading positions in Bike, Tennis, Outdoor & Team Sports. We are leveraging our unique tech and operating platform to power our leading online shops like Fahrrad.de, Bikester, Probikeshop, Tennis-Point, Outfitter, and many more, and to provide solutions to industry partners, including end-to-end e-commerce as-a-service solutions for brands and federations, connecting and enabling offline specialist retailers and integrating with digital sports communities.
We recently announced to go public through a business combination agreement with Yucaipa Acquisition Corporation (NYSE: YAC). The combination also includes the acquisition of the WiggleCRC Group, one of the largest online bike retailers globally, currently owned by Bridgepoint.
The combined entity will become the largest pure-play sports e-commerce and technology platform company by revenue, with expected net revenues of approximately $1.6 billion in the financial year ending on September 30, 2021, serving over 7 million active customers, 1,000+ brand partners, 500+ connected retail stores, and more than 15 million sports community users globally.
As a data engineer in the SSU, you are responsible for leveraging and preparing data for any analytical and functional purpose, i.e. standard business reports, real-time IoT or the business process automation are only some prominent examples for your work areas.
Your products will support our data scientists, business and data analysts as well as product developers with the most efficient data pipelines and outstanding data quality. Big data is your daily business. Since you enjoy data wrangling, building pipelines and are a creative person you have the great opportunity to realize your ideas of how to design and configure modern pipelines and dataflows. You enjoy self-managed and self-directed work as well as presenting your results in a team to managerial as well as operational levels.
Organizationally, you will be part of the team which is responsible to define, leverage and maintain a future-proof data infrastructure of the group-wide organization using state-of-the-art technologies as well as developing tailored solutions. Considering business applications, you will be part of cross-functional project teams which define, describe and realize business use cases.
What you will be responsible for
What we're looking for
- Profound knowledge of a variety of databases with advanced skills in SQL and related methodologies in relational and non-relational databases.
- Stream processing in order to provide real-time analytics for i.e. reporting, audit and IoT analytics
- BSc/MSc in computer sciences, mathematics, natural sciences or similar
- 5+ years experience working in provisioning data pipelines and leveraging a variety of data transformations for various applications
- Hands-on mentality and the ability to translate requirements into action
- Outstanding analytics skills: identify root causes at their true core as well as a strong comprehension towards business fields in order to meet the customer needs
- Profound knowledge in data integration solutions as well as methodologies
- Very beneficial skills are:
- Experience in AWS services like EC2, S3, EMR, RDS, Redshift Lamba, etc.
- Experience in analogous services and products to AWS
- Experience in workflow tools as well as the deployment of the pipelines
- Strong skills in project management and communication as well as the ability to understand organizational relations
- Passion for Sports and Tech is very welcomed!
What you need to know
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
We at SIGNA Sports United believe that our team-spirit burns brightest when we're together. We also believe in flexible working models. As such, we provide a place for you to come, work and collaborate in any of our offices in the country you are employed in. And of course, you can work from home if needed.
We are united by sports. Fueled by data. Accelerated by tech. More than 3000 tech-driven colleagues work for the SIGNA Sports United Group across the world. For us, every day is game day. Our teams play a key role in empowering founders and sports-businesses to lead in the digital age.
We are many, but we move as one - with agility. Our team is diverse, talented and full of positive spirit. We are always evolving. Technology is at our core. Our Tech Teams are located on-site close to the Business. In addition, in 2020, we opened a Hub, our Centro Tecnico, in Barcelona.
Meet Daniel, our Head of Data & BI
What is your role at SIGNA Sports United?
I am in the role as Head of Data & BI. As a team, we are responsible to create and maintain the companies data and analytics supply. We drive innovation and try to continuously outperform the business processes. Our motivation is innovation and transforming creativity into business value.
When did you join?
This year, June 2021
Why did you choose SIGNA Sports United?
SIGNA Sports United provides outstanding data analytics & automation opportunities working with state-of-the-art technologies. We are very fact-based as well as open to re-design when necessary and the SSU is just a fantastic team where everyone is challenging and supporting each other.
Why is this a great place to work for colleagues with a background in sciences or analytical disciplines?
Firstly, due to a growth by M&A the heterogeneity enables you to a wide spectrum of services and products. Secondly, the SSU itself is providing a green field which you can shape and where you can realize your ideas. You can develop a superfluid data analytics organization, this opportunity is very special and unique! As e-commerce is a fast mover and the focus is on creating the #1 Sports Tech Platform, the full stack of state-of-the-art technologies is necessary. Here, the future is built on data and knowledge where data scientists and engineers find their home base.
Would you like to tell us about a particular highlight during your time at SIGNA Sports United?
The journey is a highlight itself. I haven’t often experienced these fast and strong decision lines before. We started from scratch and after only a couple of weeks, we are ready to start realizing our unified reporting and automation platform – and – our team sports events are fantastic.
SIGNA Sports United is all about sports. What is your favorite sports?
I did a lot of track-and-field sports and still am passionate about my intervals on the stadium track.