- Identify data sources and source missing information
- Designing, testing and deploying machine learning models
- Developing machine learning algorithms and using statistical techniques to suggest and provide solutions for business challenges
- Building predictive models helping the business user to move pro-actively
- Setting-up and maintaining application relevant data stores
- Defining and designing a data collection of structured and unstructured data
- Enhancing collected data and feature engineering
- Designing and setting up the use case specific data infrastructure
- Data cleansing and verification
- Assessing data quality and recommending actionable measures to improve
- Researching and discovering data in order to derive prototypes, procedures and ML / AI products to add value to the organization
- Operationalizing ML applications
- Creating clear, comprehensive and coherent reports as well as presentations to communicate working progress and results to operational and managing teams, stakeholders and sponsors
Senior Data Scientist (f/m/d) Germany
SIGNA Sports United • Germany
SIGNA Sports United (SSU) has built the global # 1 sports e-commerce & technology platform with market leading positions in bike, tennis, outdoor & team sports. We are leveraging our unique tech and operating platform to power our leading online shops like Fahrrad.de, Bikester, Probikeshop, Tennis-Point, Outfitter, and many more, and to provide solutions to industry partners, including end-to-end e- commerce as-a-service solutions for brands and federations, connecting and enabling offline specialist retailers and integrating with digital sports communities.
We recently announced to go public through a business combination agreement with Yucaipa Acquisition Corporation (NYSE: YAC). The combination also includes the acquisition of the WiggleCRC Group, one of the largest online bike retailers globally, currently owned by Bridgepoint.
The combined entity will become the largest pure-play sports e-commerce and technology platform company by revenue, with expected net revenues of approximately $ 1.6 billion in the financial year ending on September 30, 2021, serving over 7 million active customers, 1,000+ brand partners, 500+ connected retail stores, and more than 15 million sports community users globally.
As a data scientist in the SSU, you are working on the edge of what technology let's us do. The data scientist creates a new perspective for the business, unveils hidden connections and dependencies. In this role, you are the key and driver of a future-proof business. You are contributing to the generation of new business models as well as automating processes from a data perspective.
Our business field is growing and changing fast, data is one of the most important parts of the business strategy. The data scientist is a front runner and does not only support by applying standard methodologies of machine learning and statistics but rather has a creative mind to develop new products. You are in the role of challenging the daily business from a process and product perspective. Your expertise and knowledge add value across all businesses.
You are working closely with data engineers and data analysts who are providing you with high-performance data pipelines and fantastic discovery as well as business insights within a state-of-the-art tech stack. Of course, you are equipped with the possibilities to discover and treat the data in the greatest way.
What you will be responsible for
What we're looking for
- Hands-on, customer and quality-centric mentality
- Outstanding analytics skills: identify root causes at their true core as well as a strong comprehension towards business fields in order to meet the customer needs
- Demonstrated experience in ML / AI app development with Python / R
- Very knowledgeable in state-of-the-art AI platforms and methodologies
- Demonstrated experience in the application of various algorithms
- Profound knowledge of a variety of databases with advanced skills in SQL and related methodologies in relational and non-relational databases.
- MSc / PhD in computer sciences, mathematics, natural sciences or similar
- 5+ years experience working in designing and deploying machine learning models
- Profound knowledge in data integration solutions as well as methodologies
- Experienced and knowledgeable in handling extremely large datasets
- Very beneficial skills are:
- Experience in system engineering
- Knowledge in AWS services like EC2, S3, SageMaker, etc. as well as experience in analogous services and products
- Experience in workflow tools as well as the deployment of data pipelines
- Strong skills in project management and communication as well as the ability to understand organizational relations
- Passion for Sports and Tech is very welcomed!
What you need to know
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
We at SIGNA Sports United believe that our team-spirit burns brightest when we're together. We also believe in flexible working models. As such, we provide a place for you to come, work and collaborate in any of our offices in the country you are employed in. And of course, you can work from home if needed.
We are united by sports. Fueled by data. Accelerated by tech. More than 3000 tech-driven colleagues work for the SIGNA Sports United Group across the world. For us, every day is game day. Our teams play a key role in empowering founders and sports-businesses to lead in the digital age.
We are many, but we move as one - with agility. Our team is diverse, talented and full of positive spirit. We are always evolving. Technology is at our core. Our Tech Teams are located on-site close to the Business. In addition, in 2020, we opened a Hub, our Centro Tecnico, in Barcelona.
Meet Daniel, our Head of Data & BI
What is your role at SIGNA Sports United?
I am in the role as Head of Data & BI. As a team, we are responsible to create and maintain the companies data and analytics supply. We drive innovation and try to continuously outperform the business processes. Our motivation is innovation and transforming creativity into business value.
When did you join?
This year, June 2021
Why did you choose SIGNA Sports United?
SIGNA Sports United provides outstanding data analytics & automation opportunities working with state-of-the-art technologies. We are very fact-based as well as open to re-design when necessary and the SSU is just a fantastic team where everyone is challenging and supporting each other.
Why is this a great place to work for colleagues with a background in sciences or analytical disciplines?
Firstly, due to a growth by M&A the heterogeneity enables you to a wide spectrum of services and products. Secondly, the SSU itself is providing a green field which you can shape and where you can realize your ideas. You can develop a superfluid data analytics organization, this opportunity is very special and unique! As e-commerce is a fast mover and the focus is on creating the #1 Sports Tech Platform, the full stack of state-of-the-art technologies is necessary. Here, the future is built on data and knowledge where data scientists and engineers find their home base.
Would you like to tell us about a particular highlight during your time at SIGNA Sports United?
The journey is a highlight itself. I haven’t often experienced these fast and strong decision lines before. We started from scratch and after only a couple of weeks, we are ready to start realizing our unified reporting and automation platform – and – our team sports events are fantastic.
SIGNA Sports United is all about sports. What is your favorite sports?
I did a lot of track-and-field sports and still am passionate about my intervals on the stadium track.